Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA)
PVA is used for its adhesive, emulsifying and film forming properties.
In many cosmetics, PVA is used as a binder or film former and to increase the thickness of the oil or lipid portion in the cosmetic formulation.
PVA is used in many products like shampoos, masks,makeup, skin care products, and hairsprays.
In other industries PVA is used in:
paper coatings, film and maskings, latex paints, glues and as a textile sizing agent, a carbon dioxide barrier in PET bottles and as a plastic backing sheet in adult incontinence and feminine hygiene products.
It is used as water soluble film for packaging, a mold release because epoxy and materials like it do not stick to it, in concrete as a fiber reinforcement, and is used in chemical resistant gloves.
To make your PVA Slime -
- Making a Borax solution:
1. Measure 1 cup of warm water into a large, plastic cup.
2. Add a tablespoon of Borax powder to the water.
3. Stir the solution - don't worry if all of the powder dissolves. This Borax solution is the secret linking agent that causes the PVA molecules to turn into slime.
1. Measure 2 ounces of PVA into a plastic cup.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of Borax solution (above) and stir. After several minutes of stirring, all the PVA should be stuck together in one large clump on the stirring stick. There you have it ... slime! It's that simple.
3. The slime can be stored in a zipper-lock bag for safekeeping. Clean up is easy if you have water and paper towels for slimy hands and for surfaces that have been “accidentally” slimed. When you’re finished, you can just throw the slime and materials into the trash. Or, you could toss the slime back into the zipper-lock bag and send it home with your young scientist.
- Hydrolyzed grades the melting point is 230 C and 180 – 190 C. It decomposes very quickly above 200 C because at high temperatures it can undergo pyrolysis. It is resistant to grease, solvent and oil and has high aroma and oxygen barrier properties. It is also flexible with a high tensile strength. This property is dependent on the humidity level as the more humidity there exists, the more water is absorbed. Water acts as a plasticizer and increase the tear strength and elongation but will reduce its tensile strength. It quickly dissolves and is fully degradable.
Natural: Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) is a white powder, and is a water soluble synthetic polymer.
Odor: Characteristic odor
Shelf Life: 1 year
Storage Directions: Store in a dry, cool, ventilated area in a tightly closed container.
Poly Vinyl Alcohol, PVOH, Ethenol, homopolymer, Covol; Mowiol, Gelvatol, PVA, Polyviol, Vinol, Alvyl, Alkotex, Covol, Lemol, Celvol 205, Selvol 205
We can sell multiple bags and pallets of PVA and our other chemicals and ingredients.
Shipping - SHIPS UPS Ground